I’ve had this mini pie baking set for awhile now and after a Sunday morning trip to the farmer’s market, I decided I wanted to finally put the set to use and make mini strawberry pies. This was my first time ever making any sort of pie.
Ingredients for Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 stick of butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 to 5 tablespoons of ice water
Directions for Pie Crust
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar in large bowl or food processor.
- Gradually work in the small pieces of butter.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Shape dough into a flat disk, cover it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it is about 1/8 inch thick.
- Use the larger side of the pie dough cutter to cut out the crust.
- After spraying the pie pan, press the dough into the bottom and sides of the baking pan.
- Use a fork to lightly put little holes in the dough.
- Cover the pie crust with foil or parchment paper. Put pie weights (or use beans or uncooked rice) to keep the foil/parchment paper down. This is to allow the dough to maintain it’s hollow shape.
- Refrigerate the pie crust for about 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Bake the pie crust for about 20-25 minutes
Ingredients for Strawberry Filling
- 5 cups of strawberries, hulled, and divided
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 3/4 cup of water
Directions for Strawberry Filling
- Mash 1 cup of strawberries so that it is like strawberry juice.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, water, and mashed strawberries. Bring it to a boil, stirring constantly until the mixture has a thick consistency. Let the mixture cool.
- Spread the glaze in the bottom of the cooled pie crusts.
- Arrange the remaining strawberries in the pie crusts and spoon the glaze mixture over the strawberries.
Recipe for strawberry filling is found here.