I had a very low-key and relaxing Halloween this year, choosing the stay home to pass out candy and make pumpkin bread pudding. Being in Southern California, it really didn’t feel like fall yet, but this dessert definitely got me into a fall mood. I used the recipe found here.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 1 yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 cups cubed challah bread
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 8 inch square baking dish
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans (optional)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk together pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, yolk, salt, cinnamon, ginger and allspice in a bowl.
- In another bowl, toss the melted butter with the bread cubes.
- Transfer the bread crumbs to the baking pan.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture over the bread crumbs. Make sure bread cubes are covered in the mixture.
- I added the chopped pecans near the top of the custard.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until custard is set.