- 2 cups of apple cider (we used the Trader Joe’s Spiced Apple Cider)
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 3 tablespoons of apple liqueur
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cool Time: 1.5 hours
Ice Cream Mixing Time: 25 minutes
- Mix the sugar, cider, and cinnamon in a saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Boil until the cider is thick like a syrup and the sugar has caramelized. This should take about 15 minutes and result in about half of a cup of syrup.
- While cooking the syrup, mix the cream and milk in a separate saucepan and bring the mixture to almost boiling and keep it on low heat.
- When the syrup is ready, whisk the syrup quickly into the milk and cream mixture. Continue mixing over low heat until the mixture is thoroughly mixed and then remove it from the stove.
- In a bowl, thoroughly whisk the eggs and salt. This step is not done on the stove.
- Pour half of the hot mixture into the bowl with the eggs, whisking constantly to avoid having scrambled eggs in your mixture.
- Pour the half of the mixture (now with the eggs) back into the saucepan. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens but is not boiling.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and strain the mixture. Let the mixture cool for about 20 minutes while stirring occasionally. You can mix in the apple liqueur if you want to. Then separate the mixture into 2 bowls and place them into the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the mixture and place it in the ice cream maker. Let the ice cream machine run for about 25 minutes.